30 January 2011

Some things perplex me.

So, another semester has started at Samford.  Classes are underway, friends have been reunited, and, oh yeah, the campus is all abuzz about Step Sing.  But this second-semester freshman needs some clarification, or maybe just wants to complain, perhaps expressing thoughts that some of you may be thinking.

Firstly, Step Sing.  Ok, I get it's a big event.  When I say big, I mean huge.  And it's incredible.  And before you bite my head off for criticizing it, let me say that I have already purchased my ticket and will be sitting right there in row E, orchestra level of the Wright Center on Friday night the eleventh, enjoying every second of it.

But, being the unseasoned newbie that I am, I have concerns with the whole Step Sing process.  Firstly, I didn't quite get what was up with the whole banner drop thing, followed by the theme presentation at the basketball game yesterday.  Seems to me like the former was just a glorified version of the latter, followed by the crappiest rave I've participated in just over one semester as a college student.  Just do one without the other, and everything's just fine.

Next, I sorta get the whole thing about keeping the shows secret to everyone not involved in each show, but at the same time it's annoying.  Being a part of the OA, I can totally understand the concept behind mysteries and concealing stuff, so I guess it's just that as and outsider, I really want to know.  So that aspect of Step Sing isn't too troublesome.

The rest of my rant against Step Sing has to do with all the confusion, specifically surrounding all that ticket junk.  It took me about three days to figure out how and where to get a ticket, after asking fellow students, the Hub, and even members of the Step Sing committee.  And all this wristband business for the participants I know causes confusion, and always has in the past, that was one of the few things I understood at the banner drop.  So, here's an idea, Step Sing committee, give a certain number of tickets for each night to each group, and have them distribute them to their members accordingly.  That reduces so many questions about the process, all that needs to be known is how many people are in each group.

Another way to reduce so much chaos and confusion is not to kick off all the Step Sing stuff the moment students step back on campus.  Give them a half a week or a week to get settled in and acquainted with their new classes, then go into Step Sing prep.  If that means having to move the event back a week, so be it.  But it's just too much, too soon, in my opinion.

Alright, on to the class I'm sure we all love to hate:  CA.  It's so pointless.  I know how to write, and so do many people that have to take one or two courses in the CA program, I'm sure.  People should be able to "test" out if they take the equivalent to 101 and 102 in dual enrollment composition classes, and pass with no difficulty whatsoever.  This is not to say that I won't continue on with my CA 102 to get it over with, but I'll do so ever so begrudgingly.  I'm not spending any money on the stupid "how to write" textbook, I'll borrow someone's if there's some sort of required reading.  I'll show up to class, just because there's an attendance policy, even if nine out of ten times I won't get anything out of going to class.  So, I guess it just is what it is, and I'm not much of a fan.

Well, Samford, what do you think?  Am I being crazy for bashing Step Sing?  Is there logic behind my dislike of CA?  Does it really even matter what I think?  It's your call.

-Clayton

No comments:

Post a Comment