29 December 2016

#Top100of2016: 30-21

This is part of my Top 100 Songs of 2016 series. To see specific entries click on the following links:

Intro 100-91 | 90-81 | 80-71 | 70-61 | 60-51 | 50-41 | 40-31 | 30-21 | 20-11 | 10-1


30. I Hate U, I Love U - Gnash feat. Olivia O'Brien



Peak: 10 (October 22, November 12); Weeks on chart: 35; December 31 position: 25

Gnash has the vocal range of my best friend growing up (loved the guy to death, but he couldn't sing to save his life) and the capitalization skills of someone who has never seen a shift key, ever. I had a fun time the last time I heard this song making up lyrics to mock it, until I realized the chorus is melodically identical to one of my favorite pop songs of the year. What a ripoff.

29. Too Good - Drake feat. Rihanna



Peak: 14 (September 3-10); Weeks on chart: 29; December 31 position: NR

During a week in which rumors of Drake and Jennifer Lopez being an item are running rampant all over the internet, I would like to come out publicly as still being a believer in Dra'anna. Although Ri is way too good for The Artist Formerly Known As The Degrassi Wheelchair Kid, the way Drake has always been smitten with the Barbados Beauty is inspiring to me. As far as this song goes, it sounds a lot like "Controlla" but I like it better, mostly because its two singers are SO DARN CUTE TOGETHER.

28. Stitches - Shawn Mendes



Peak: 4 (one week in 2015); Weeks on chart: 52; December 31 position: NR

Dear America: Please explain to me your obsession with this kid. I don't get it. He is a C-minus singer at best, but for some unexplained reason his hit "Stitches" spent a full year on the Hot 100 in 2015 and 2016. The only reason I can think of is we enjoy torturing ourselves. I mean, if you need further proof, look no further than November 8.

27. Hello - Adele*



Peak: 1 (seven weeks in 2015; January 2-16); Weeks on chart: 26; December 31 position: NR

The number one hit at the year's beginning, and our re-introduction to Adele, is vastly superior to the previous song on this list yet somehow only spent half as long in the Hot 100. For only 19 of its 26 Hot 100 weeks to occur this year, I'd say "Hello" finished remarkably high on the #Top100of2016. There is another Adele song that finished slightly higher, which is a few spots ahead on this list.

26. Let Me Love You - DJ Snake feat. Justin Bieber



Peak: 4 (October 8, October 29-November 19); Weeks on chart: 19; December 31 position: 9

Bieber mania has continued throughout 2016, with Justin's music pleasingly much, much more prevalent than his face. Two Biebs collabs with recently-popular DJs were top 10 mainstays throughout the second half of the year. Probably my less favorite of the two is "Let Me Love You." While it's a solid track, I never really fell in love with the song.

25. Broccoli - D.R.A.M. feat. Lil Yachty



Peak: 5 (November 5-19); Weeks on chart: 27; December 31 position: 17

I may be the only one who thinks this way, but I'm pretty sure D.R.A.M. (abbreviation for "Does Real Ass Music") is actually a Jordan Peele character. Either way, "Broccoli" is a gimmicky hit that I surprisingly found enjoyable over the last quarter of the year. At its peak, the hip-hop track enjoyed a three-week top five run before "Black Beatles" jumped over it as the most-played rap song in the country.

24. Send My Love (To Your New Lover) - Adele



Peak: 8 (September 24); Weeks on chart: 27; December 31 position: NR

I enjoyed Adele's third single from 25 for about a month and a half, before it started getting overplayed on every radio station I listened to (I'm pretty sure it popped up on the rap station at one point, too). A cover featuring three of my favorite YouTubers of all time was one of my favorite videos of the year and may have helped just a little bit in making "Send My Love" the biggest Adele track of 2016.

23. Cold Water - Major Lazer feat. Justin Bieber and MØ



Peak: 2 (August 13 & 27, September 10-17); Weeks on chart: 21; December 31 position: 40

The second half of the year kicked off with Major Lazer and MØ's follow-up to the massively successful "Lean On." Featuring Justin Bieber as well, "Cold Water" spent most of the late summer and early fall in the top five and - despite its popularity - never got old to me. Check back the rest of this week for even more Bieber.

22. Pillowtalk - Zayn



Peak: 1 (February 20); Weeks on chart: 24; December 31 position: NR

Released by everyone's least-favorite former One Direction member, "Pillowtalk" was the first solo project from any of the five British heartthrobs. The Directioners, desperate for any music from any of their gods, predictably ate it up, so much so that "Pillowtalk" debut at number one on the Hot 100. For the entirety of its Hot 100 run, I avoided this song like the plague. However, after it was mostly off the airwaves I found the debut track from Malik's Mind of Mine (Tha Carter III knockoff, anyone?) to be at the very least tolerable.

21. Treat You Better - Shawn Mendes



Peak: 6 (October 8-15); Weeks on chart: 28; December 31 position: 32

In case I haven't said it already, enough with Shawn Mendes! The fangirls pushed his follow-up to "Stitches" all the way into the number six spot, and at year's end "Better" had already passed the half-year duration threshold that only about 40 other songs achieved in 2016. I'm done talking about this sorry excuse for a musician.

Tomorrow, I reveal my most-played song on the #Top100of2016 and we get Closer and closer to the reveal of the top 10 songs of the entire year.

No comments:

Post a Comment