25 December 2015

#Top100of2015: 70-61

This is part of my Top 100 Songs of 2015. To see specific entries click on the following links:

Intro | 100-91 | 90-81 | 80-71 | 70-61 | 60-51 | 50-41 | 40-31 | 30-21 | 20-11 | 10-1

70. Girl Crush - Little Big Town

Peak: 18 (May 9); Weeks on chart: 24; December 26 position: NR

We'll start with the controversy that could only happen in the oh-so-unintelligent South. Allegedly, some country radio stations decided not to play the song because it pushed the "homosexual agenda." Two major issues: This is clearly a song about a woman who wants to be the girl her man is cheating on her with; and IT IS 2015. EQUALITY IS A THING. GET OVER IT. For what it's worth, I don't particularly like this song, but just because it's another whiny heartbreak-y country song.

69. Animals - Maroon 5

Peak: 3 (one week in 2014); Weeks on chart: 33; December 26 position: NR

To this point, "Animals" is M5's most recent Top Five song. Released as a single from the band's album V, it saw its strongest success at the end of 2014. "Animals" started this year in the Top 10 but gradually dropped out of the chart over the next few months. Probably not Maroon 5's best, "Animals" is still a solid track.

68. Stay With Me - Sam Smith



Peak: 2 (two weeks in 2014); Weeks on chart: 54; December 26 position: NR

"Stay With Me" was one of the top five songs of 2014, finally falling off the Hot 100 at the end of April of this year after over a year on the chart. As I previously mentioned, I am not a Sam Smith fan. His voice is only enjoyable in upbeat dance tracks like his earlier works with Disclosure and Naughty Boy. In his solo work thus far he sounds nothing less than a whiny little five-letter-word-I-won't-say-because-my-parents-may-read-this.

67. Take Your Time - Sam Hunt


Peak: 20 (April 11); Weeks on chart: 32; December 26 position: NR

Sam Hunt is one of the rising stars in country music, and "Take Your Time" is the highest-ranking song on this year's Top 100. I personally don't like the way Sam talks the verses instead of singing them. Hunt is better than many country artists, however; his song "House Party" is my favorite single he has released so far. The future for this crooner is bright.

66. Same Old Love - Selena Gomez

Peak: 9 (December 26); Weeks on chart: 13; December 26 position: 9

This is one of the hottest tracks of the new year, having jumped up to the No. 6 position in the January 2 Hot 100. Selena Gomez has put forth a very solid new sound; "Same Old Love" is her second single from Revival. Without question, this song will rank even higher when #Top100of2016 comes around this time next year.

65. Love Me Harder - Ariana Grande feat. The Weeknd


Peak: 7 (one week in 2014, January 3); Weeks on chart: 22; December 26 position: NR

"Love Me Harder" reached its zenith as 2014 came to a close and 2015 began. Perhaps there was no bigger female pop star during that time not named Taylor Swift. It was around the time this song was popular that my friends and I decided that Ariana and I would make cute babies together. I've since decided against my friends' dreams for #Clariana but hey, there are plenty of fish in the sea, right?

64. Downtown - Macklemore & Ryan Lewis feat. Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee, and Grandmaster Caz


Peak: 12 (October 31); Weeks on chart: 15; December 26 position: 76

A year and a half separate Macklemore's two most recent Hot 100 hits. I would have hoped for much better from the makers of "Thrift Shop" and "Can't Hold Us" but "Downtown" just is not that great a song. It is wildly inconsistent in form and whichever of the four featured artists "sings" the chorus has a terribly irritating voice. As Macklemore and Ryan Lewis burst onto the music scene so well in 2013, I truly hope 2016 proves the duo's debut set of singles was not a fluke.

63. Here - Alessia Cara

Peak: 8 (December 19-26); Weeks on chart: 19; December 26 position: 8

This is my favorite track currently in the Top 10. It took quite some time to start gaining airplay; I distinctly remember hearing a DJ announce "Here" as a "new song" when I had known about it for about two months. Once it did catch on, listeners couldn't get enough of the song's sassy lyrics and Cara's sexy singing style. I haven't yet tired of "Here" and at this point it's doubtful if I ever will.

62. You Know You Like It - DJ Snake feat. AlunaGeorge

Peak: 13 (June 27); Weeks on chart: 21; December 26 position: NR

This song was vastly underplayed for how good it really was; perhaps that Major Lazer's "Lean On" is so similar but more popular took attention away from DJ Snake's follow up to "Turn Down For What." This song has a completely different feel from "Turn Down" but still features several familiar DJ Snake beats. What sets this song apart from other EDM tracks from the past two years is the singing voice of AlunaGeorge. She provides an exceptional vocalization to complete one of my favorite tracks of the year.

61. On My Mind - Ellie Goulding

Peak: 13 (December 19-26); Weeks on chart: 12; December 26 position: 13

Ellie Goulding's Halcyon Days album got me through a really difficult point in my life, so I was very anxious for new music from the British superstar. "On My Mind" and Goulding's 2015 album Delirium absolutely did not disappoint. After a year and a half of the introspection - and in times feelings of depression - that went along with listening to the masterpiece that is Halcyon Days I was ready for some Ellie Goulding songs that I could just happily jam out with. Ellie's new music is exactly that. Keep doing you, Ellie. I am exceptionally thankful for your music.

Tomorrow, the worldwide phenomenon that is Adele.

No comments:

Post a Comment