26 December 2015

#Top100of2015: 60-51

This is part of my Top 100 Songs of 2015 series. To see specific entries click on the following links:

Intro | 100-91 | 90-81 | 80-71 | 70-61 | 60-51 | 50-41 | 40-31 | 30-21 | 20-11 | 10-1

60. Sorry - Justin Bieber



Peak: 2 (November 14, December 5-26); Weeks on chart: 7; December 26 position: 2

Only one song has been hotter than "Sorry" over the past two months; for more on that, scroll down. Justin Bieber's second single from his new album Purpose debuted at number two. The song dropped to the number three position for two weeks before riding out the entire month of December back at two. "Sorry" is holding steady at the second spot as of the first 2016 chart. Let me emphasize, just because his music has become much better does not automatically make Justin Bieber a decent human being.

59. Like I'm Gonna Lose You - Meghan Trainor feat. John Legend

Peak: 8 (December 12); Weeks on chart: 23; December 26 position: 10

With Trainor's first handful of singles we got used to a bubblegum pop style with a mild throwback feel. Enter "Lose You," a ballad featuring one of the best ballad singers of this decade. The song is a refreshing change from the type of music Trainor with which broke into the music scene. Meghan's only song to spend time in the Top 10 this year was a winner for me.

58. Chains - Nick Jonas

Peak: 13 (April 18); Weeks on chart: 20; December 26 position: NR

Nick's second solo single didn't chart as high as his first, but is arguably just as good. The former boy band heartthrob is now a certifiable pop stud. "Chains" is a powerfully anxious song about a man whose relationship is doing him more harm than good. The beat drives the song in exactly the direction I think Jonas intended it to go. An honorable mention goes to Nick's brother Joe, whose band DNCE has one of the underrated songs on the radio right now in "Cake By The Ocean."

57. One Last Time - Ariana Grande



Peak: 13 (May 2); Weeks on chart: 20; December 26 position: NR

If Ariana understood how to enunciate when singing, this song would tell the story of an impending heartbreak, put off for one final night. When I finally understood the lyrics, the song became a bit of a turnoff because, quite frankly, I don't like sad songs. My two favorite lines, for different reasons: "Feel like a failure, 'cause I know that I failed ya," and "I don't really care if you got her in your heart; all I really care is you wake up in my arms." Two pieces of advice, Ari: learn to enunciate, then just dump the dude before the "last time."

56. Hello - Adele

Peak: 1 (November 14-December 26); Weeks on chart: 7; December 26 position: 1

This song has been literally everywhere since its premiere at the end of October. It has been featured in a Saturday Night Live skit as well as countless memes (here are a couple of my favorites). On Youtube, the music video for "Hello" has already racked up over 800 million views in a little more than two months. In comparison, Psy's "Gangnam Style" - the first ever to hit a billion - took five months to reach the billion views plateau (at current rate, "Hello" should be well over one billion views by this time next month). Lastly, I may or may not have sent multiple black-and-white snapchats of me lip-syncing to the song. Maybe as many as one series of snaps per week.

55. Jumpman - Drake feat. Future


Peak: 12 (November 7); Weeks on chart: 12; December 26 position: 14

At one point in my 2014 countdown I mentioned that Drake was one of the few bright spots in modern rap. If it's not too late, I wish to rescind those remarks presently. I find 2015 Drake quite unappealing, even if he is currently one of the most recognized male artists in the world.. I haven't heard "Jumpman" many times, but I think the track is pretty solid, even if the rapping style is grating.

54. Hit The Quan - iheartmemphis


Peak: 15 (October 24-31); Weeks on chart: 17; December 26 position: 45

This song lacks much lyrical content, complexity, originality, or basically anything that would set it apart from the much more successful "Watch Me Whip/Nae Nae." "Hit The Quan" is basically a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff of a cheap knockoff....(continue about 20 times) of a cheap knockoff of Chubby Checker's "Twist." And I'm pretty sure Chubby ripped that concept off of an even earlier song. The knockoffs have gotten progressively lazier through the years.

53. Drag Me Down - One Direction



Peak: 3 (August 22); Weeks on chart: 19; December 26 position: 46

Liam, Niall, Louis and Harry announced their hiatus this year, which is a shame because the members of One Direction were finally beginning to find their vocal niches within the group. "Drag Me Down" was the group's first single since Zayn Malik left, and maybe became somewhat of a battlecry for Directioners. Honestly I have no idea if that previous statement was actually true; I'm not in the minds of a bunch of screaming 13-year-old girls.

52. Nasty Freestyle - T-Wayne


Peak: 9 (May 16, May 30); Weeks on chart: 20; December 26 position: NR

"First let me step out the m----f-----n' Porsche" was a popular line in my place of work throughout the spring and summer of this year, but it took me two or three months to figure out that line came from this song. The rap community loved it enough to push "Nasty" into the Top 10 in the month of May, but I personally didn't care much for the song.

51. Truffle Butter - Nicki Minaj feat. Drake and Lil Wayne


Peak: 14 (March 14-April 4); Weeks on chart: 20; December 26 position: NR

Surprisingly, I did not much care for this collaboration by three of my least favorite singers and two of my least favorite personalities in music. I will say that Nicki Minaj's 2015 (trying to start drama that had no need to exist with two high-profile singers, for instance) is setting her up perfectly for a new reality TV series in 2016. She'd probably be a better Kardashian than she is a musician.

Come back tomorrow for the start of the countdown's second half...and for goodness' sake, someone bring Rihanna her money.

No comments:

Post a Comment