28 December 2015

#Top100of2015: 50-41

This is part of my Top 100 Songs of 2015 series. To see specific entries click on the following links:

Intro | 100-91 | 90-81 | 80-71 | 70-61 | 60-51 | 50-41 | 40-31 | 30-21 | 20-11 | 10-1

50. I Don't F**k with You - Big Sean feat. E-40


Peak: 11 (one week in 2014); Weeks on chart: 29; December 26 position: NR

You may be surprised I don't think highly of this song, considering the fact I have not had much good to say about Big Sean in any post over the last two countdowns. But I have a feeling Ariana Grande caught herself singing "IDFWU" more than she'll care to admit after the two ended things in April.

49. Cool For The Summer - Demi Lovato



Peak: 11 (September 19-26); Weeks on chart: 20; December 26 position: NR

If your only qualification for "songs of the summer" is that the song title should include the word "summer", this would be the highest-ranking summer song of 2015. I have long been a critic of Demi Lovato's voice and physical attractiveness, having never found either particularly attractive. This song didn't change my opinion about her voice, but I have had a complete reversal of opinion about her physical attractiveness (not that that's entirely important; her advocacy work is far more important and has always impressed me).

48. Ex's & Oh's - Elle King



Peak: 10 (November 28); Weeks on chart: 23; December 26 position: 12

Fun fact from when I was researching "How did Elle King get famous": Her father is actor Rob Schneider. King herself (born Tanner Elle Schneider) burst into the public eye with her Billboard debut "Ex's & Oh's," which peaked at 10 around Thanksgiving. This was one of those #hipsterstatus songs that I was listening to well before it hit the pop charts, but as soon as it became hugely successful I didn't like it as much. Of course, that had less to do with its mainstream status and more with the fact that it entered the top 40 in the same week as "On My Mind" and as a Gould-digger I saw the two songs as direct competitors in the chart.

47. Only - Nicki Minaj feat. Drake, Lil Wayne and Chris Brown


Peak: 12 (one week in 2014); Weeks on chart: 25; December 26 position: NR

There it is, the unholy quartet of pop R&B. The mega-collaboration between a drug addict, a domestic abuser, the world's worst dancer, and a woman who takes advantage of the feminist movement as an excuse to show off her obviously-surgically-enhanced rear end. Keep your fingers crossed that next year they add the personification of ego, future presidential candidate Kanye West, in an even more ridiculous five-way collab.

46. I Don't Mind - Usher feat. Juicy J


Peak: 11 (March 21); Weeks on chart: 23; December 26 position: NR

This is an under-the-radar candidate for the best R&B song of 2015. One should expect nothing less from the man who has basically ruled the genre for the last 18 years. The third single from an album that's been almost three years in the making, "I Don't Mind" is my favorite song Usher has released as a primary artist since 2010. Juicy J is also an under-the-radar candidate as my favorite current rapper.

45. B*tch Better Have My Money - Rihanna 



Peak: 15 (July 18); Weeks on chart: 25; December 26 position: NR

I like to call it the Beyonce Effect: artists who are actually talented musicians are now creating hits by talk-singing. BBHMM is a textbook example. Rihanna, who has been at times one of my favorite females in pop, doesn't necessarily demonstrate her prowess as a vocalist in this song. Had another, less successful, artist recorded this song it would have never gotten airplay. Regardless, I still secretly enjoy this song, although it pales in comparison to just about any song from Good Girl Gone Bad.

44. Jealous - Nick Jonas


Peak: 7 (January 24); Weeks on chart: 32; December 26 position: NR

The debut single from Jonas' first solo album since the JoBros was equally successful in 2015 as it was in 2014. One of the hottest songs in January, "Jealous" sparked an incredibly busy year for the former boyband star, whose second single "Chains" made the No. 58 spot in this list. Nick's third, and probably my favorite, single "Levels" peaked on the Hot 100 at 44 and didn't even make my 78-song "honorable mention" section of the #Top100of2015.

43. Centuries - Fall Out Boy

Peak: 10 (February 7-14); Weeks on chart: 34; December 26 position: NR

A member of last year's Top 100 "First Two Out," "Centuries" paved the way for a year of relevance for Fall Out Boy. My lasting memory of this song was my Twitter timeline rejoicing when the college football season ended in January so they would never have to hear "that awful Fall Out Boy song" again. The song then spent the next month rising on the Hot 100 until its two-week stay in the top 10. I remember I laughed. Quite a lot. #LongLiveFOB

42. All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor


Peak: 1 (8 weeks in 2014); Weeks on chart: 36; December 26 position: NR

The number 7 song of my 2014 list finally fell off of the Hot 100 after the end of March. "Bass" was nominated for two 2015 Grammys; Trainor's continued success earned her a 2016 nomination for Best New Artist. It may just be me, but it looks like Meghan has lost a little weight - not a lot,but enough to be noticed - since her song about having a positive body image regardless of its shape rocked the world.

41. Talking Body - Tove Lo



Peak: 12 (June 13-20); Weeks on chart: 30; December 26 position: NR

I am a major fan of Tove Lo. Her voice, style, and carefree message are unique and I very much respect that. Also from the two minutes I got to talk to her at a radio meet-and-greet this year, she seems like an exceptionally nice person. I asked her if she had met Taylor Swift, and she said yes; four months later, Tove was Taylor's surprise guest on a 1989 World Tour stop. They performed Talking Body together in Atlanta; of course, it was phenomenal.

Later today (whoops!), Taylor and another artist with at least three songs on the list make their first appearances on #Top100of2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment