30 October 2014

Song of the Day - October 30, 2014

This is the fifth song in my Throwback Thursday series, in which we'll progressively head back in the history of popular music. This week's song was the number one song in America on this day in 1996.

In the mid-90s, a new dance craze swept the world. The dance required sixteen counts to complete and primarily centered around hand and arm movements (but you could get into it with your hips too). Simple, catchy and not overly suggestive, the Macarena was - and still is - a staple of dance parties everywhere.

Behind the dance was our second Latin-themed song in as many Throwback Thursdays. The Los Del Rio hit reached number one on the Billboard chart in August of 1996 and remained there 14 weeks through the middle of November. At the end of the year, Macarena earned the honor of the best song of 1996.


Enjoy the mid-90s fashion.

As someone who has two left feet, the Macarena has always been one of my favorite dances. Growing up I would do the Macarena dance to most songs, for the mere fact that I can't dance at all. Thank you, Los Del Rio, for giving me my signature 16-count move.

Next week: 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment