18 October 2014

Song of the Day - October 18, 2014

One of the better songs on the radio that isn't being overplayed yet is "Cool Kids" by Echosmith. It's in the digital/indie/alternative pop genre blur that I've been getting into recently (think Ellie Goulding, but slightly more laid-back) and it has a relatable message about trying to fit in with the "it" crowd. Cool Kids is a wonderful jam with a unique sound.

Enter the Gardiner Sisters, of whom I am in constant awe.

I first discovered this beautiful trio (they have a few younger sisters who join in sometimes) in a Peter Hollens YouTube video featuring three of my favorite things on this planet: A capella music, song mashups and Pirates of the Caribbean. Now Hailey, Allie and Mandi are among my all-time favorite musicians because of their harmonies and simple musical style (not simple as in easy, of course, but they don't often use more than a guitar and some light percussion). If you want more introduction to my not-yet-famous celebrity crushes, look here.

This week, the Gardiner Sisters released an acoustic version of the Echosmith hit, and it sounds almost like a completely new song. I think it's already one of my favorite Gardiner Sisters covers to date. Have a listen and fall almost in deeply in love as I am:


Every reason I love these girls and their music is evident in the video. The harmonies are beautiful, and each sister's personality shines through as usual. I did find several things that make this better than most Gardiner Sisters covers.

  • The pink highlights in their hair are a subtle tribute to Breast Cancer Research Funding Month. 
  • It feels like they reinvented this song more than they've done most of their other covers. This gives it a uniquely Gardiner sound.
  • Vocally, each girl has her own special moments. Recently, it's felt like Hailey's had a majority of the leads so it's nice to see Allie and Mandi share the lead this time.*
  • I love watching all three dance along to the bouncing beat of the song. It adds a delightful aesthetic touch to the overall experience of the cover.
  • I am a huge fan of Mandi's shirt.
  • My favorite moment, musically, is from about 1:20-1:25.
Obviously, I could go on forever about this outstanding trio. Instead of doing that, I'll direct you back to the video so you can listen over and over. 

*The "Hailey gets more leads" thing is far from a complaint, because if I absolutely had to pick a favorite Gardiner Sister, I'm not choosing against the one who is my age and the only person I'd expect to beat me 50% of the time in the Pirates of the Caribbean topic in QuizUp.

No comments:

Post a Comment