17 October 2014

Song of the Day: October 17, 2014

This would typically be my Throwback Thursday post, but I've got a job now - THIS IS GOOD NEWS. - so I'm turning this post into Flashback Friday for this week. The year is 2001.

In 2001, a young songstress named Alicia Keys burst onto the scene with her debut single, "Fallin'". The soulful ballad first hit the top of the Billboard chart in August, spending three weeks as the number one song in America before being ousted from the spot by Jennifer Lopez's "I'm Real." Keys took the top spot back from Lopez for another three weeks in October, and Fallin' ended 2001 as the second biggest song of the year. The single went gold in the United States and platinum in both Switzerland and Australia. To date it is Keys's third most successful single.

Fallin' includes a powerfully soulful vocal from Keys, backed by the sweet harmonies that are typical of a vintage R&B ballad. It is inescapably easy to hear the pain of a love-torn person depicted through the lyrics and Keys's own piano accompaniment. I mentioned in my last Song of the Day my belief that music is the best conveyor of emotion. Fallin' is one of my primary exhibitions of this theory.


I've said all I need to about the musicality of this song - hopefully allowing the song to speak for itself - but I believe we all need to take a moment to point out the blatant early-'00s fashion within the video. I'll point out a few of my favorites:

  • The hairdo.
  • Hoop earrings.
  • The trench coat. Particularly the trench coat.
Everything about this outfit.



















Ultimately, this video is the stuff of Buzzfeed legend. Enjoy, and then go check out 21 reasons Ryan Gosling is better than your man (because that's pretty much Buzzfeed in a nutshell, right?).

Next week: 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment