25 March 2011

Cruise Chronicles Day One: Delayed Beginnings

Well, boys and girls, it's been an interesting week, to say the least.  I will eventually get to you about that.  Poetry and stories will come for that.  But, for the next week, I will be treating you to a day by day account of my Spring Break cruise.  Today I begin with part one of nine, Friday the 11th.  Enjoy.


Friday, March 11, 2011
Well, coming off the high of the Night in Kenya, Thursday was pretty much a relative downer.  I mean, not like, uber-depressed, everything sucks downer, more like hangover from #epicwinning downer.  Anyway, so Thursday night’s sleep ended in a Friday morning wake-up and a leisurely morning.  CP was abbreviated, and during the class I learned that the parentals and brother unit were, shall we say, running the slightest bit behind on packing.

This allowed me to continue my state of leisure, as I gradually completed three loads of laundry and packed for the cruise.  In retrospect, I do feel a little impressed, yet disappointed in myself.  Whereas the family had spent all morning and a good deal of the afternoon frantically packing, I was able to pretty much procrastinate until they left around 2:50 (well, I didn’t stall that much, but I could have).  This start time was nearly three hours later than the noon departure originally intended by the Hendersonville crew.  To make matters worse for Dad (who I swear has about as much Adaptability as I have Discipline, so doesn’t like averting from original plans AT ALL) and the rest of the family, they got stuck in a massive traffic jam full of, as Christopher so wisely put it, “idiots being stupid.”  It was a quarter ‘til seven in the evening when my three cruising partners finally pulled into the lot beside Smith Hall.  I believe we were planning on being on the way to Atlanta by that time.

After stopping to use my lavatory and get my luggage loaded in the car, we were off to Jason’s Deli in Brookwood Mall to grab a bite or two of dinner.  A short trip to the Eagans’ house allowed my obnoxiously long hair to get a long-awaited and massive shearing, while we wished Will a happy belated first birthday.  Then, by nine-ish, we were out of Mountain Brook, heading out on I-20 towards Atlanta.

Oh, but the fun doesn’t stop there.  Somewhere along I-20, there was some major construction and/or rubber-necking, coupled by more “idiots being stupid” and a 55 mile-per-hour speed limit for a long stretch of road.  While the construction et al. probably only lasted for 5 miles or so (5 miles that took an hour or more), the 55 miles per hour limit remained until after we had entered Georgia.  At long, long, last, at right at two o’clock in the morning, Eastern Time, we made it to the Comfort Inn and Suites near the Atlanta airport.  All were in bed soon, though not all may have slept until some time later, dreading the 5-6:45 (depending on the person) wakeup call just a few hours later.

1 comment:

  1. If you are not familiar with my Night in Kenya, it was awesome, and that's about all the background you need for the purpose of this story. :)

    ReplyDelete